Discover Yamaha’s exquisite range of musical instruments, including their world-renowned violins. With a rich history dating back to the late 1800s, Yamaha has earned a solid reputation as a trusted manufacturer of premium-quality instruments. Among their selection of exceptional products, their violins stand out as a flagship choice, with their superior construction and unmatched sound quality. If you’re in the market for a new Yamaha violin, our comprehensive Buyers’ Guide and review list will help you make an informed choice. So compare your options and pick the perfect violin that suits your needs and preferences today.
Top Yamaha Violins Review
To narrow down your search, we’ve also made a small list of product suggestions that might suit your style and needs. Every violin showcased here has managed to score enough positive reviews so it can be considered as one of the best violins from Yamaha.
1. Yamaha V3 Series Student Violin Outfit
The Yamaha V3 Series Student Violin Outfit is noted for its reliable construction and playability. When played, the instrument produces an excellent sound. Such violin is also noted for its durability. Its woods are thoroughly dried under environmentally-controlled conditions to increase durability and to create an excellent instrument that even children can use.
Its pegs, chin rest, and fingerboard are made up of ebony. This violin comes in a complete kit including a violin case, a bow, and a rosin. It is available in three sizes: 1/2, 3/4, and 4/4.
- If a quality and reliable instrument is what you have in mind, this unit is worth taking into account as it will help you engage in countless practice sessions and explore your sonic path.
- The kit includes everything you need to start playing right away; therefore, you will get a sturdy violin, a bow, and rosin.
- Furthermore, the lightweight yet durable case and straps included will make it easy for you to store the instrument or carry it from one place to another.
- The violin features quality woods that will keep up with extended use and thoughtfully-designed chin rest, pegs, and fingerboard, so you can play for hours without your comfort being affected.
- To make tuning easier for beginners, the tailpieces featured include Wittner-style adjusters on each string.
- The unit is designed with beginners and young players in mind; therefore, it might not be an inspired choice for more advanced musicians.
2. Yamaha SV-130 Series Silent Electric Violin Outfit
The Yamaha SV-130 Series Silent Electric Violin Outfit is another Yamaha violin that you could choose. Such violin has a single piezo pickup. It is equipped with an improved noise reduction circuity.
You could also choose for the appropriate reverb which suits your mood: practice room, concert hall, or cathedral. It consists of an aux-in for playing along with recorded accompaniment or favorite music. It is available in four different colors: black, antique brown, candy apple red, and navy blue.
3. Yamaha YEV104NT Electric Violin
The Yamaha YEV104NT Electric Violin is a beautiful and light electric violin that is easy and fun to play with. At an affordable price point, violinists could enjoy this all-access instrument. It is equipped with a visually appealing design that produces a simple and clean sound, making it an excellent choice for violin players.
It is made from six different types of wood that add to the overall natural, organic, and resonant sound of the amplified instrument. It is available in two colors: natural and black.
- Advertised as a reliable instrument for beginners, this violin should not go unchecked if you want an electric instrument that will enable you to practice with ease.
- Committed to providing beginners with practicality and ease of use, this unit features a lightweight body that will keep you comfortable even when you engage in long practice sessions.
- To keep up with extended use, the item features 6 different types of wood that will not only ensure durability but will also help you produce a natural and clear sound.
- Its design also makes it popular among violing players as this model boasts a stylish and sleek body that will add nice visuals to your performance.
- Furthermore, the lightweight construction makes it easy to maneuver and transport.
- The unit does not come with an amplifier and, if you don’t have one already, you will have to buy it separately, which adds to the final cost.
4. Yamaha SV200 Silent Electric Violin
The Yamaha SV200 Silent Electric Violin has an oval-shaped neck that is finished with a thin layer od a specially formulated finish, offering a feel that is identical to an acoustic violin. Its parts are made up of different types of wood including maple, spruce, and ebony. It consists of an EQ Mode Switch which allows the violin player to skip the built-in default settings, giving them the advantage of high-end equalization.
This instrument is perfect at home and in the studio and on stage. With its features, this electric violin is expected to deliver an excellent expression, playability, and tone that pure and natural. It is available in different colors: black, brown, cardinal red, and ocean blue.
- Boasting a stylish body, this silent violin is committed to helping beginners advance their skills and explore the sonic properties of violins with greater ease.
- Thanks to the oval-shaped neck and the finish used, you won’t feel that this is not an acoustic instrument.
- The unit was designed to provide you with a natural and pure tone that renders it a good choice for both studio and concert performances.
- To further help you explore, the item comes with dual piezo pickups that ensure a great dynamic range and 2 EQ modes for an enhanced dry signal or acoustic tone.
- The repositioned output jack will further add to your comfort when playing as the cable won’t get in your way and the lower bout will accommodate all standard shoulder rests.
- Some users have found the unit to fall a bit on the expensive side yet they have appreciated the performance delivered.
5. Yamaha YEV104BL Electric Violin
The Yamaha YEV104BL Electric Violin is an attractive and light electric violin that is fun and easy to play with. At an affordable price, violin players could enjoy this all-access instrument. It is equipped with a visually appealing design that produces a simple and clean sound, making it an excellent choice for violin players.
Such design is also lightweight for comfortable use whether at home or on stage. It is made from six different types of wood that add to the overall natural, organic, and resonant sound of the amplified instrument.
6. Yamaha Standard Model AV7 Violin
The Yamaha Standard Model AV7 Violin is an excellent violin known for its durability and design. It has a top which is made up of spruce, a bottom that is made of maple, and fittings which are made up of solid ebony. It is then hand-applied with an oil varnish finish to give violin players that beautiful and striking look.
It also boasts of a reddish-golden shading and flamed back and sides. The violin includes a Wittner tailpiece, a brazilwood bow, and a Yamaha oblong cloth-covered case. It could be used by beginners and professionals alike.
- With this violin, you get to explore your sonic personality and give it countless shapes for a long time thanks to its durable build.
- To make sure you will get to use it for countless practice sessions and gigs, the violin features a durable spruce top and maple back as well as ebony fittings.
- The hand-applied oil varnish, hand-carved body, and Wittner tailpiece further contribute to the durability of this unit as well as to its stylish design that can only complement your performance.
- The cloth-covered case included in the pack will help you protect the instrument while not in use and transport it from one place to another with ease.
- To enable you to start using it right upon arrival, the violin comes with a brazilwood bow.
- Beginners might find the violin a bit expensive yet such an instrument will cover your needs even when you advance your skills.
7. Yamaha Model 5 Violin Outfit
The violin of the Yamaha Model 5 Violin Outfit is made from selected materials including spruce for its top and maple for its back and neck. It is handcrafted using the traditional methods employed by Yamaha. It also consists of rosewood pegs, chin rest, and tailpiece.
Additionally, it also has four fine tuners and prelude strings. The outfit includes a lightweight case, a brazilwood bow, and rosin. Because of its features, this instrument would work best for beginners and professionals alike.
8. Yamaha YEV105NT Electric Violin
The first on the list is the Yamaha YEV105NT Electric Violin. It is a beautiful and light electric violin that is easy and fun to play with. At an affordable price point, violinists could enjoy this all-access instrument.
It is equipped with a visually appealing design that produces a simple and clean sound, making it an excellent choice for violin players.
It is made from six different types of wood that add to the overall natural, organic, and resonant sound of the amplified instrument. Since batteries are not required, you only have to plug this into an amplifier and play.
- Lightweight yet durable, this instrument is an all-access electric violin that will help beginners and even more advanced players practice more and do so with greater ease.
- To make things easier for you, this unit just needs to be plugged into an amplifier in order for you to enjoy its benefits and explore your sonic personality; therefore, there is no complicated setup process involved.
- Furthermore, the item requires no headphones or batteries, so you can easily employ it for a quick practice session.
- The unit is made from 4 different types of wood that make it possible for the instrument to deliver a natural and resonant sound.
- Considering the sonic capabilities of this instrument, the item can be employed for both home and onstage performances.
- At least one buyer says that beginners might find it a bit difficult to play on all 5 strings at first yet that becomes easier with time.
9. Yamaha Standard Model AV5 Violin
The Yamaha Standard Model AV5 Violin is an excellent violin known for its design and construction. It has a top which is made up of spruce, a bottom that is made of maple, and fittings which are made up of solid rosewood.
It is then hand-applied with an oil varnish finish to give violin players that beautiful and striking look. It also boasts of a reddish-golden shading and flamed back and sides. The violin includes a Glasser bow and a Yamaha ABS plastic stackable. It could be used by beginners and professionals alike.
- If you’re serious about playing the violin and you need a durable instrument that will help you engage in countless practice sessions and gigs, this unit should not be ignored.
- The top of the violin features spruce whereas its bottom boasts maple wood aged for 5 years, which means that you can rest assured that this item won’t break or fail anytime soon.
- The hand-carved unit comes with a carefully applied finish that will further add to the quality and durability of the item while enhancing its elegance.
- To enable you to use the unit right away, the pack also includes a Glasser bow as well as a quality case that will help you enjoy enhanced ease of storage and transportation.
- The unit is advertised as a student instrument; however, some of the buyers who tried it say it can also fit the needs of an advanced player.
10. Yamaha SV-250 4 String Electric Violin
The Yamaha SV-250 4 String Electric Violin is a lightweight electric violin which consists of unique dual pickups. It has a hollow body design that creates a pure and natural sound. It consists of a beautiful antique maple flame finish.
The violin is also equipped with a silent practice/ in-ear monitor feature with a separate headphone volume control so that you could practice quietly without disturbing others. This instrument is designed to meet the needs of performers playing diverse styles.
What Makes a Great Yamaha Violin
Identifying the essential features of Yamaha violins is one of the first things that you have to do as a violin player. This way, you are ensured that you will be picking the most suitable violin for your performances. Here are some of the features that you should look for when selecting the best Yamaha violins.
Type of Violin
One of the first features that you should consider when looking at Yamaha violins is its type. Violins could be acoustic or electric.
Acoustic violins produce a warm and rounded tone due to the natural resonance made by created by the wood from which they’re constructed. These violins are favored by folk and classical musicians.
Electric violins, on the other hand, produce a brighter and more raw tone. They are noted for their plug-and-play capability. Jazz and rock musicians tend to choose electric violins more than its acoustic counterparts.
The Size of the Violin
The second that you should consider is the violin size. Violins come in nine sizes. Adults generally use standard, full-sized violins. For children, there are other choices that you could choose including 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4. To identify the ideal size for you, you could use the neck-to-palm measurement.
The features which were mentioned above are just some of the features that could be found in a Yamaha violin. It is worth noting that knowing these key features will allow you choose the most appropriate instrument.
Why Should You Buy a Yamaha Violin
Yamaha is world-renowned for being a high-quality musical manufacturer. In fact, Yamaha is credited with shipping the first CD player and makes great piano keyboards. Yamaha violins are an excellent option for anyone that is looking for a reliable and affordable musical instrument.
Yamaha also stands behind their musical instruments. They offer a very liberal 5-year warranty on all of their violins. This warranty covers all models of their violins and protects against repairs or replacements needed. Even before you receive your Yamaha violin though, each violin is checked to ensure superior craftsmanship.
Electric Violins vs. Acoustic Violins
When speaking in regards to the differences between an acoustic violin and an electric violin, it’s hard to decide your favorite. They both provide nearly identical features, they usually work flawlessly, depending on the musician’s needs.
Although you can fit Yamaha violin pickups to an acoustic instrument, the very best Yamaha electric violin comes with built-up pickups that manage to amplify the sound up until the specified level.
Because they need to avoid the feedback given by the resonance within the hollow body, electric or silent violins are equipped with strong bodies and have simple designs that are supposed to cut back their weight.
In case you didn’t know, acoustic devices give that warm and round tone because of the natural resonance offered by the tonewoods. However, the electric violin generates an electronic signal that is tweaked and extra enhanced. It sounds brighter and rawer than the tone you hear when using an acoustic violin.
In case you’re more into classical or folk music, you need to go with acoustic instruments because they’re more suitable for this kind of musical genre. Additionally, in case you prefer to play some rock or jazz sometimes, electric violins are a must just like reed instruments.
Since electric violin allows the user simply to plug in and then play their favorite jams, it’s logical that they are most useful for band musicians who want amplified sounds.
When looking for a new violin, you need to think carefully about what style of music suits you best. Kids and teenagers are more prone to selecting an electric violin because they permit them to practice without disturbing the others.
Acoustic and electric violins keep an identical level of playing dynamics, so it’s not a tough choice to make if you wish to make a transition.
More Information About Yamaha Silent Violin
In case you thought that a Yamaha electric violin has identical options such as a Yamaha silent violin, you have been mistaken. The fact is that they could be a bit confusing because they are both electric instruments that plug into an amplifier.
The important difference is that a silent violin comes with a headphone jack which means that you can connect it to an amp. In this way, you’ll be able to practice the violin without disturbing your whole neighborhood.
About 20 years ago, Yamaha had a terrific concept idea that was working excellently in Japan. Silent violins have been an immediate hit there because in this country the places are closely populated which makes it almost impossible to play the violin without being heard by everyone around you.
Because Americans don’t mind the noise, when Yamaha entered the U.S.A. market, it needed some rebranding. Even so, Yamaha introduced something new and revolutionary that opened the way for numerous different brands to follow.
Yamaha violins are great instruments for intermediate and advanced students. If you are looking for the best Yamaha violin for professional musicians or maybe a student model (student instrument) you will definitely like some of the Yamaha models.
We hope that we brought you helpful information about Yamaha as a brand and the models that are available at the moment. There are many options at a different price ranges in order to make your search easier.